ILS CODE OF ETHICAL CONDUCT
The Code of Ethical Conduct is not intended to duplicate or paraphrase law, or statute, nor is it intended to qualify in any way an employee’s obligation to comply with those authorities. It is instead a tool to be used in helping staff work through the often difficult ethical issues that confront them on a regular basis.
1. I will remember my first responsibility is to the people I serve. In working through ethical dilemmas, the best interests of a person with developmental disabilities are my first concern.
2. I will accept responsibility in making decisions consistent with the safety, health, and welfare of the public and those we serve, and to disclose promptly factors that might endanger the public or those we serve.
3. I will be honest and realistic in documenting and billing services to all payment sources. I will reject bribery in all its forms.
4. I will avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action. I will avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist.
5. I will treat fairly all persons regardless of such factors as race, religion, gender, disability, age, or nation origin. I will honor and respect all people as unique and valuable individuals. I recognize the danger of imposing my own priorities and values.
6. I will recognize and support the central importance of family and friends. Each person is the center of a support network composed of varying numbers of family and acquaintances, including those who have a close and long-term relationship.
7. I will empower people with disabilities, and their families, to achieve their dreams by providing lifelong choices, support and learning opportunities. I will attempt to balance legitimate need for protection with the right to function as a member of the larger society.
8. I will be cautious in making assumptions about developmental potential. I understand that behavior, appearance, and even test scores can cause professionals and family members to make hasty judgments about the ability of an individual to learn and apply new skills. I will focus as much as possible on what people can do and their potential, rather than solely on deficits and limitations.
9. I will support full integration of people with developmental disabilities. While many services and supports are necessarily unique to people with developmental disabilities, I will endeavor to assist and encourage people to exercise their right to use those services and supports that are available to all community members.
10. I will stay current in my field. I will also assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following the code of ethics and all related professional codes.
11. I will apply the principles of teamwork both within the agency and without. I will seek, accept and offer honest criticism, to acknowledge and correct errors and to credit properly the contributions of others. I will focus on common goals, sharing equally in the benefits and daily challenges of making difficult decisions.
12. I will respect the right to privacy of persons with developmental disabilities. I will maintain the strictest confidence regarding any issues and information relevant to the person that ILS serves.
13. I will maximize and understand the use of technology, and appreciate potential consequences, i.e., computers, internet, communication devices. I will not misuse technology for my personal gain.
14. I will adhere to all relevant state and federal regulations and to adhere to the professional conduct standards of all relevant professional groups.
15. I will maintain a professional relationship with consumers and not enter into an intimate relationship with any consumer.
16. I will honor and respect all consumers, co-workers and the agency. I will not make disparaging remarks about them. I will promote and encourage consumers, co-workers and the agency as a whole.
17. I will promote the individual adherence with the ILS corporate compliance plan and report to the Corporate Compliance Officer those issues, without fear of reprisal, which are contrary to the spirit of this code of Ethical Conduct and the ILS Corporate Compliance Plan.
18. I will avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist.
19. ILS will utilize the corporate compliance officer to ensure that it conducts business in an ethical manner and ensure that any business practices that are questionable are thoroughly investigated. A notary public will be on staff to witness documents as required.
20. All ILS financial, purchasing, personnel, facility development and information technology practices shall comply with local, state, and federal law and guidelines.
21. All ILS employees shall adhere to the agencies Human Resource Policies and Procedures.
22. ILS will conduct marketing practices in an honest and factual manner. Marketing materials and practices will in no way mislead the public or misrepresent ILS’ ability to provide services.
23. ILS will utilize clear and consistent methods of communicating information to consumers, families, third party entities, referral sources, funding sources, and community members, and will exhibit sensitivity to the educational and reading levels of all persons when distributing information.
24. ILS will not utilize monetary rewards or gifts to any potential consumer of services in an attempt to entice them to enter programs. ILS will not solicit potential consumers.
25. ILS prohibits discrimination in any work related decision on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, age, or citizenship. ILS is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in a work environment where each employee is treated with fairness, dignity, and respect
26. ILS will make reasonable accommodations to the known physical and mental limitations of otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.
27. ILS does not tolerate harassment or discrimination by anyone based on diverse characteristics or culture backgrounds of those who work for the organization pursuant to the organizations affirmative action policy.
28. ILS does not tolerate any form of sexual harassment.
29. ILS does not tolerate any form of workplace violence.
Any allegations of violations of ethical codes see IV Guidelines for Conduct F. Complaints and Grievance Procedures.