What is a disability?

A disability is “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life function.” [Arkansas Code 16-123-102(3)]

What is a developmental disability?

A developmental disability is a substantial, long-term disability that begins any time from birth through the age of 21 and is expected to last for a lifetime. Although you may not always be able to see these disabilities, they can seriously limit daily activities of life, including self-care, communication, learning, mobility, or being able to work or live independently.

Arkansas law says that a developmental disability is “an impairment of general intellectual functioning or adaptive behavior” that is a “substantial handicap to the person’s ability to function without appropriate support services, including, but not limited to, planned recreational activities, medical services such as physical therapy and speech therapy, and possibilities for sheltered employment or job training.” It is caused by mental retardation or a closely related condition; cerebral palsy; epilepsy; autism’ or dyslexia resulting from cerebral palsy, epilepsy, or autism. [Arkansas Code 20-48-101 and Act 729 of 1993]

What is Medicaid?

Medicaid is a joint federal and state health care assistance program that pays for medical care and services for people who meet income/assets requirements.

What is Community and Employment Supports Waiver?

The PASSE is a funded program for people with developmental disabilities to receive services home, community based supports.

Independent Living Services

Where are you located?

Administrative Offices including Executive Director & Program Directors:  615 E. Robins, Conway, AR 72032
Elissa Douglas, Executive Director 501 327-5234 x 302

Financial Offices: 1615 Independence Street, Conway, AR  72034
Jessica Hutchison, Financial Director 501 358-6192 x 402

How many people receive services provided by Independent Living Services?


When was Independent Living Services founded?

Independent Living Services was founded in 1970 by Peggy Schneider.

Residential Services

How are residential/waiver services funded?

Our residential programs are funded mainly by Waiver Services, Personal Care, and HUD.  If an individual does not qualify for waiver funding he or she may be asked to private pay for  services.

For more information about Residential or Waiver services please contact:
Evelyn Fecher-Ward, Program Director, 501 327-5234 x 303
Alyssa Jones, Assistant Program Director, 501 327-5234 x 304

Our residential waiver services allow on consumers to live in the most independent settings possible. Our trained staff provides assistance  with individual needs while helping consumers meet their goals.

We provide service in consumer homes and now residential settings.

Group Homes and Apartments

Ross House
Ross House is home to 8 men in Conway

Patterson House
Patterson House is home to 12 women in Conway

Florentz Estates
Florentz Estates is the newest ILS is the newest ILS complex. It houses 14 co-ed units with all apartment doors opening to the inside of the facility located in Conway.

Greenbrier Apartments
Greenbrier apartments is an 18 unit apartment complex available to men and women located in Greenbrier.

Creative Living
Creative Living, also known as the Schneider House, is a 10 bed co-ed Intermediate Care Facility located in Conway.

Reynolds House
Reynolds House is home to 8 women in Conway.

South Blvd.
South Blvd is home to 4 women located in Conway.

Conway Apartments
Established in October 1982, Conway Apartments was the first ILS apartment complex. It’s an 18-unit complex for men and women located in Conway

Adult Development

How is the Adult Development program funded?

Programs offered at Profiles Enrichment Center are funded through Medicaid’s ADDT (Adult Development Day Treatment) Center, state dollars, local funds, and contract services. Individuals who do not qualify for funding may be asked to private pay.

For more information about Profiles or Profile Productions please contact:
Jordan Dunn, Day Program Director, 501 327-5234 x 324
Caleb Walker, Asst. Day Program Director, 501 327-5234 x 341

How many people attend Profiles Enrichment Center?

Around 185 people with developmental and intellectual disabilities attend on a daily basis.

How many people work at Profiles Productions?

Around 100 people with developmental and intellectual disabilities work either part-time or full-time shifts.

Supported Employment

What is supported employment?

Supported employment is a leading form of vocational rehabilitation that matches people with intellectual and developmental disabilities with a career that fits both the individual needs as well as the needs of the employer. This service is of no charge to the employer or the employee. There are tax saving benefits that are available for employers who hire individuals with disabilities.

Who do I contact for supported employment?

Robert Wright | 501 358-6572


Who do I contact to make a charitable donation?

Robert Wright  |  501 358-6572

Are donations to Independent Living Services tax deductible?

Yes. Independent Living Services is a qualified non-profit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenues Services code.

Is it safe to donate to Independent Living Services?

Yes.  Independent Living Services is a registered charitable organization through Consumer Protection Division of the Arkansas Attorney General’s Office.

How can I make a charitable donation?

Online – Visit our Give page to make an online donation.

Check – Independent Living Services, PO Box 1070, Conway, AR  72033


How do I apply for employment at Independent Living Services?

Applications can be completed at our Human Resources office at 615 E. Robins, Conway, AR 72032.  The application link Careers/Apply.

For more information regarding Human Resources please contact:
Danielle Henry, Human Resource Director, 501 327-5234 x 317
Reshonda Powell, Human Resource Coordinator, 501 327-5234 x 345

How many people does Independent Living Services employ?

We employ almost 425 people in a variety of positions ranging from Direct Service Professionals to Nutritional Therapists.


Who do I contact about volunteer opportunities?

Robert Wright |  501 358-6572

What type of volunteer opportunities are available?

Independent Living Services offers a variety of volunteer opportunities for individuals or for groups.


Does Independent Living Services offer services outside of Faulkner County, Arkansas?

Yes. Independent Living Services also operates in Perry, Pulaski, Pope, White, Cleburne and Conway Counties.


What steps are taken to ensure consumer privacy?

Independent Living Services is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of individually identifiable health information as protected by law, including the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA).

615 E. Robins | Conway, AR 72032